KS4 Reading List for English and English Literature
Reviews of all of these books, and many others, are available on the following website: http://www.cool-reads.co.uk This is a site made by young people, for young people and you can post your own reviews of books on it when you've read them.
- Animal Farm (George Orwell)
- A book with a message, Orwell's easy style will keep you gripped from the start.
- Noughts and Crosses (Malorie Blackman)
- A modern day love story with a twist.
- Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
- If you like religious thrillers, you'll enjoy this from the author of The Da Vinci code.
- The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)
- Great if you like Dracula!
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night (Mark Haddon)
- A really popular book you won't be able to put down.
- Elsewhere (Gabriell Zevin)
- A sensitive look at death and the afterlife.
- The Golden Compass (Bill Pullman)
- A great fantasy book.
- A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)
- A sci-fi struggle between good and evil.
- The Lovely Bones
- A hard-hitting story from an unusual viewpoint.
Some GCSE texts:
- To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee)
- The Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
- The Catcher in the Rye (J D Salinger)
- Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
- Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Year 10 and 11 students have been allocated Monday and Thursday evenings in which to complete their English homework.
- 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' Theatre Trip 23rd June 2016
Students gripped by a dramatic performance (25/08/2016)
- 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' Theatre Trip 19th March 2015
Year 7s moved and enchanted by Boyne's classic story of forbidden friendship (06/04/2015)
- 'To Kill a Mockingbird' Theatre Trip 25th February 2015
Year 8 and Year 11 enjoyed a stunning performance of Harper Lee's classic novel (06/04/2015)
- Blood Bros
Another successful trip to London's Phoenix Theatre last week. (10/07/2012)