Gifted & Talented Provision in Mathematics
In the Mathematics department, we believe that all pupils are entitled to an education that will enable them to develop their full potential; intellectual, physical, aesthetic, creative, emotional, spiritual and social.
The department is committed to providing a sufficiently challenging curriculum for all its pupils. In addition we will provide opportunities to identify, and nurture, those who are considered to be gifted & talented.
The department will have a designated G & T representatitve who will coordinate G&T activities within the Mathematics department and contribute to supporting the work of the School G&T Co-ordinator, working and interfacing across and between departments.
Pupils show their special talents in mathematics in a range of ways and at varying points in their development. Pupils who are gifted in mathematics are likely to:
- learn and understand mathematical ideas quickly;
- work systematically and accurately;
- be more analytical;
- think logically and see mathematical relationships;
- make connections between the concepts they have learned;
- identify patterns easily;
- apply their knowledge to new or unfamiliar contexts;
- communicate their reasoning and justify their methods;
- ask questions that show clear understanding of, and curiosity about, mathematics;
- take a creative approach to solving mathematical problems;
- sustain their concentration throughout longer tasks and persist in seeking solutions;
- be more adept at posing their own questions and pursuing lines of enquiry.
Gifted & Talented News
- Toot Hill School secures the NACE Challenge award for the second time
On 14 Jan we were successful in our application to secure re-accreditation for the NACE Challenge (03/02/2016)
- Geography Naples Field trip for Year 10
Deadline for handing slips back is the 8th of July! (02/07/2015)
- NACE Challenge Award
Roger Black presents NACE Challenge Award to Toot Hill School (29/06/2015)
- Year 11 visit to Oxford University
An aspirational day trip to discover more about life at one of the top universities in the country (16/10/2014)
- The Big Draw: Arise & Sketch
For the first year our most promising Year 7 artists are participating in the national festival (15/09/2014)