Gifted & Talented Provision in Mathematics
In the Mathematics department, we believe that all pupils are entitled to an education that will enable them to develop their full potential; intellectual, physical, aesthetic, creative, emotional, spiritual and social.
The department is committed to providing a sufficiently challenging curriculum for all its pupils. In addition we will provide opportunities to identify, and nurture, those who are considered to be gifted & talented.
The department will have a designated G & T representative who will coordinate G&T activities within the Mathematics department and contribute to supporting the work of the School G&T Coordinator, working and interfacing across and between departments.
Pupils show their special talents in mathematics in a range of ways and at varying points in their development. Pupils who are gifted in mathematics are likely to:
- learn and understand mathematical ideas quickly;
- work systematically and accurately;
- be more analytical;
- think logically and see mathematical relationships;
- make connections between the concepts they have learned;
- identify patterns easily;
- apply their knowledge to new or unfamiliar contexts;
- communicate their reasoning and justify their methods;
- ask questions that show clear understanding of, and curiosity about, mathematics;
- take a creative approach to solving mathematical problems;
- sustain their concentration throughout longer tasks and persist in seeking solutions;
- be more adept at posing their own questions and pursuing lines of inquiry.
Gifted & Talented News
- Dr Andy Clayton and Dr Jenny Clayton
Our students have been lucky enough to hear about the working life of two doctors this half term. (13/02/2020)
- Chinese Exchange
Toot Hill School meets Cixi Experimental High School (12/07/2019)
Dr. Simon Paine visits Toot Hill School to give students an insight into the brain (04/06/2019)