Year 8 Programme of Study
Two double periods per week - one of PE (1.5 hours) and one of Games (1.5 hours).
During Year 8 pupils will study units in a variety of activity areas previously covered in Year 7:
- PE - Fitness, Swimming, Gymnastics, Dance, Athletics.
- Games - Football, Hockey, Rugby, Netball, Tennis, Rounders, Volleyball, Cricket
Throughout Year 8 pupils will develop their skills, knowledge and understanding of each activity further while also looking forward to potential GCSE and BTEC qualifications starting in Year 9.
- Fitness: The aim of this unit is to develop pupils' understanding of their own fitness and how improving their fitness impacts on their health. They will record and monitor their personal progress.
- Gymnastics: Pupils will be taught to develop specific gymnastic techniques and to perform them consistently. They will be required to create, plan, perform and evaluate sequences on both the floor and using apparatus.
- Dance: Pupils will be introduced to the main dance principles through both set dance and creative dance. They will plan, perform and evaluate their own work and that of their peers.
- Swimming: Pupils will be taught to develop their technical proficiency in the three main strokes – front crawl, back crawl and breaststroke. They will also be introduced to the basic rules of competitive swimming
- Athletics: Pupils will be taught a range of running, jumping and throwing techniques and the competition rules governing each event.
- Games: Pupils will experience generic games at the start of the year followed by a range of the major games. In the first two terms this will include football, hockey and rugby for boys with netball taking the place of rugby for girls. In the third term all pupils experience a selection of summer activities from tennis, rounders, volleyball and cricket. In each game pupils will be taught to develop their technical performance, tactical awareness and knowledge of the rules governing the game.
In all activities pupils' awareness of health, fitness and safety will be developed.
Curriculum Map - Year 8
- 25th Apr 2018: The College team make that a triple success for the Toot Hill football teams tonight. Beating Becket on pens.
Physical Education News
- East Midlands Modern Biathlon
Calling all swimmers, runners, triathletes, teachers and especially 'Have ago-ers’! (14/09/2017)
- British Modern Biathlon Series
Enter today (27/09/2016)
- Y7 Girls Inter Tutor Football Competition
Fantastic numbers, effort and smiles! (27/11/2015)
- South Notts Hockey Club
New members (26/11/2015)
- Pentathlon at Toot Hill
Free session (21/10/2015)