GCSE Short Course Homework
Listed below are the homework tasks for GCSE RE (Short Course). Each piece of homework is listed under the topic of the lesson(s) in which it is set.
Unit 1 - Christian Perspectives - Prejudice and Discrimination
- Introduction to key issues
- Find a recent example of prejudice in the newspapers
- Martin Luther King
- Research the views of other Christians on this issue e.g. Desmond Tutu, Trevor Huddleston
- Introduction to Christian views on the roles of men and women
- The arguments for and against female bishops
- Sexism in the church
- Complete exam question
- The parable of the Good Samaritan
- Finish modern version
- Find an example of a modern day Good Samaritan or research the origins of The Samaritans
- Revise for test on unit 1
Unit 2 - Christian Perspectives - Personal Relationships
- Introduction to personal relationships
- Quick on definitions on worksheet next lesson
- Perfect partners
- Research views on astrology on relationships (star signs that make the best partners
- Marriage partners
- Key question - are Christian marriages more successful than secular marriages?
- Sex and relationships
- Write a letter to Danny as an agony aunt or uncle giving your advice on his dilemma
- Christian views on sex
- Exam question - The only place for sex is within a marriage - argue for and against and refer to Christian views
- The purpose of Christian marriage
- Ask parents for their views on marriage
- Wedding vows
- Research what happens in a Christian wedding
- A Christian marriage service
- Learn wedding vows for quiz next lesson
- Family life
- List important features of Christian family life (try to relate to teachings from the Bible)
- Christian family life
- Finish worksheet - Christian teachings about the family
- Christian family duties
- Exam question - Describe Christian teachings on the family
- Introducing divorce
- Answer the following question incorporating your own opinions and those studied in the lesson - Society would be a better place if there was no divorce (try to write a page)
- Introducing Christian views on divorce
- Research Catholic, Church of England and Methodist views on divorce
- Christian views on remarriage in church
- Exam question - Explain why Christians have different views about divorce
- Revise for test on unit 2
Unit 3 - Judaism - Beliefs
- Introduction. Why is Shema so important for Jews?
- Research - Statistics on the number of Jewish believers
- Jewish symbols and meaning
- What is a covenant?
- Research - find map of Israel. Label key cities - Jerusalem, Masda, flag, when the state was set up. Explain the importance of Israel for Jews today
- Do all Jews believe and practise their beliefs in the same way?
- Create a short portrait similar to Charles and Lara to introduce yourself to someone else, focusing on things which tell others about who you really are - Beliefs, Influences, Traditions, Values.
- What is the Torah? What are mitzvot?
- Create a collage/poster using recent news stories in relation to the Ten Commandments. Are the Ten Commandments being kept or broken in today's society?
Unit 4 - Judaism - Places and Forms of Worship
- What are the main features of a synagogue?
- Collect images of objects in a synagogue
- How do Jews worship?
- Collect pictures of Jewish prayer artefacts
- Make comparison between other faith communities prayer rituals e.g. Muslim try to pray five times a day
Unit 1 - Christian Perspectives - Life and Death Issues
- The sanctity of life
- Complete worksheet on the sanctity of life
- Introduction to abortion
- Survey ten people on their view on abortion
- The right to life argument
- For each pro life argument identified from the video try to write the pro choice viewpoint
- The arguments for and against abortion
- Finish essay
- Introduction to euthanasia
- Learn types of euthanasia
- Involuntary euthanasia
- Finish argument
- An introduction to fertility treatment and the use of embryos
- Find recent articles on the use of embryos/fertility treatment
- Arguments for and against cloning
- Students write their own view on this issue
- The use of embryos
- Complete worksheet
- Revise for test on life and death issues
Unit 2 - Judaism - Festivals, feasts and special days
- What are the key Jewish festivals?
- Tasks on the preparation of Passover
- What happens during the Sedar meal?
- Complete tasks on Passover
- Look at the positives and negatives of celebrating Passover
- What is the importance of Passover for Jews today?
- Review work
- Find pictures of Jews celebrating Sukkot
- How do Jews celebrate Rosh Hashanah (New Year)?
- Research on different religious traditions in celebrating New Year
- What is the importance of Yom Kippur for Jews?
- Fill in keyword sheet
- Learn keywords and meaning
- How do Jews welcome and celebrate Shabbat?
- Complete wordsearch/crossword on festivals
- Revise for unit test
Unit 3 - Judaism - Religion in the family
- Why do Jews follow Kashrut laws?
- Research kosher slaughtering - is it cruel?
- Exam question - Explain how keeping the Jewish food laws might affect a Jews life. (7), seen both in a positive and negative way
- What is circumcision?
- Evaluate the relevance of circumcision for Jews today. "Circumcision is an out of date practice in a civilised religion." Do you agree?
- Research birth ceremonies in other traditions
- How do Jews mark becoming an adult?
- Magazine article
- Research Bar Mitzvah websites
- What are the different rituals surrounding a Jewish wedding
- Exam question - Explain the importance of marriage for Jews. "Marriage is essential for Jews." Do you agree? (8)
- Death and Funeral Rites
- Fill in keyword sheet
- Learn keywords and meaning
- How are women respected within Judaism?
- Complete crossword
- Revision for test next lesson