Year 8 Assessments
January and june 2017 Exams
Assessment time is upon us once more, with formal written assessments taking place in January and June 2017. These assessments are important for the pupils, and for us as a school. We use the levels achieved by pupils in their assessments, along with indications of their innate ability and their effort in lessons, to monitor if a pupil is progressing as expected. We also use the results to analyse how effective our curriculum is at securing strong pupil progress and development.
While we want pupils to take their assessments seriously, we do not want them to be the cause of undue stress or pressure. Our tiering system has been developed to try to place the children at the centre of our provision, and assessments play a vital part in informing our short and medium term planning. We continue to devote time and energy to refining the assessments themselves, and the way in which we prepare pupils.
Assessments should be focussed on finding out the knowledge, understanding and skills that pupils have developed; there aren’t any trick questions! If a pupil is unsure during an assessment, they should just make their best effort; we cannot and do not ask any more than that. Teachers supervise the assessments, and they will try to help pupils within the spirit of the assessment.
For their part, pupils should be using some time at home each evening to prepare for their assessments. Pupils in Years 7 & 8 should be completing the equivalent of between 45 to 60 minutes of homework per night. Revision and preparation for the assessments should fall broadly within these expectations, and should be supported by structured tasks from class teachers. Please encourage your child to talk to their tutor if they are finding homework difficult to manage, and please use the planner to communicate with teachers if your child has worked for over 30 minutes on a homework, but not finished it. It is important that pupils get some relaxation time too!
year 8 revision letter
- Revision Letter - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_FINAL_Letter.docx
- Revision guides/website links - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Letter_-_Links_for_Revision_Material.docx
Subject-specific revision resources
The following revision documents provide subject specific revision for your Year 8 June Internal Assessments. This is information which has been provided by your teachers to help you with your revision:
Revision Material for June Internal Assessments:
- Art - /data/uploads/web/files/Art%281%29.pptx
- English - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_7_and_8_Revision_sheet_Summer_Exams_2017.docx
- Geography - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Antarctica_Revision_Booklet.docx
- Science - /data/uploads/web/files/KS3_Revision_Lists_Year_8.docx
- Maths (Tiers g-l) -/data/uploads/web/files/JUNE_Revision_list_B_-_Point_score_up_to_39%281%29.pdf
- Maths (Tiers a-f) - /data/uploads/web/files/JUNE_Revision_list_A_-_Point_score_20_to_59%281%29.pdf
- History (Revision Checklist) - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Revision_Checklist.docx
- History (Revision Guide) - /data/uploads/web/files/Y8_Revision_Booklet.docx
- Enterprise - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Revision_Sheet.docx
- Enterprise - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_-_Unit_3_revision.pptx
- Philosophy and Ethics - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Revision_Booklet.doc
- French - /data/uploads/web/files/Writing_Help_Sheet.docx
Previous Revision Material for January Internal Assessments:
- Art - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Art_Revision%281%29.pptx
- English - /data/uploads/web/files/English_-_Section_B_Writing%281%29.docx
- English - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_January_Assessments_Revision%281%29.docx
- Geography - /data/uploads/web/files/Geography%281%29.pdf
- History - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_History.pptx
- Science - /data/uploads/web/files/Science_-_Year_7_and_8_Revision_Lists.docx
- Maths -/data/uploads/web/files/Maths.docx
- Maths - /data/uploads/web/files/Maths_2.docx
- French Ters a-d- /data/uploads/web/files/French_Tiers_A-D.docx
- French Tiers e-g- /data/uploads/web/files/French_Tiers_E-G.docx
- French Tiers h-j - /data/uploads/web/files/French_H-J.docx
- French Tiers k-m - /data/uploads/web/files/French_Tiers_K-M.docx
- German Tiers a-d -/data/uploads/web/files/German_Tiers_A-D.docx
- German Tiers e-g -/data/uploads/web/files/GERMAN_TIERS_E-G.docx
- German Tiers h-j -/data/uploads/web/files/German_Tiers_H-J.docx
- German k-m -/data/uploads/web/files/German_Tiers_K-M.docx
- Spanish Tiers a-d -/data/uploads/web/files/Spanish_Tiers_A-D.docx
- Spanish Tiers e-g -/data/uploads/web/files/Spanish_Tiers_E-G.docx
- Spanish Tiers h-j -/data/uploads/web/files/Spanish_Tiers_H-J.docx
- Spanish Tiers k-m -/data/uploads/web/files/Spanish_K-M.docx
- Enterprise - /data/uploads/web/files/Year_8_Enterprise.pptx
General guides to revision
- Revision Guide Booklet A beginners guide to revising for your Tier Exams [PDF].
- Assembly Powerpoint An introduction to revising shown in the year 7 and 8 assemblies [PPT].
Also available: Year 7 Assessments.
- Ceilidh Day at Toot Hill School
Students experience the music and energy of a real Ceilidh! (Music - 22/05/2018)
- Rehearsals for the Spring Concert
Year 7's rehearse Eurovision song 'Storms' for the Spring Concert. (Music - 22/05/2018)
- Wicked trip!
GCSE Music Students at Toot Hill School visit London to see the musical 'Wicked'. (Music - 22/05/2018)
- Short Story Competition
How to vote - Closes 15th June (Learning Lounge - 21/05/2018)
- Booktrust Challenge - May 2018
'Booked' by Kwame Alexander (Learning Lounge - 21/05/2018)