Shell Bright Ideas Challenge - STEM Club Regional WINNERS!
Four teams from Toot Hill's after school STEM Club entered the Shell Bright Ideas Challenge and we are delighted to announce that not only were we shortlisted in the top 50 school Nationally but one of our teams has now been confirmed as REGIONAL WINNERS. This involves £1500 STEM funding for the school, vouchers for the students and a two day, fully funded STEM trip to Make the Future Live in the Olympic Park in London.
The winning team was Keisha Dowlman, Joel Bingham and Maisie Warner whose "Bright Idea" to solve future city energy problems was for a device to Digest Food Waste and generate gas for cooking in domestic kitchens. They called it the M.A.D.E Cooker (Micro Anaerobic Digester Energy) and it obviously impressed the judges enough to award us the prestigious prize.
Honourable mentions should also go to the other 3 teams who also independently came up with an idea, tested and trialed it and put forward competition entries of their own. Well done: Dave Wood, Hasan Raoof, Tom Middleton, Ben Hollands, Aidan Herrington, Reuben Willis, Charlie Henry, Isaac Thorn, Joe Smith, Ashmit Thomas, Charlie Martindale, Kieran Donnelly, Daniel McLean and also Lewis Watt who had been a member of the winning team but dropped out part way through.
The winning team will be off to the the Shell Make the Future Live STEM Festival and Award Ceremony on July 4th and 5th.
Huge congratulations to the team and all of the other students involved!
- International Women in Engineering Day, Tarmac visit for a Yr 8 girls STEM event
Engineers from Barnstone Cement works visited Toot Hill on 22nd June to deliver a hands on workshop (11/07/2018)
- Shell Bright Ideas Challenge - STEM Club Regional WINNERS!
Our STEM Club are Regional Winners of the Competition, winning £1500 and a 2 day trip to London! (11/06/2018)
- Year 7 Science Technology Engineering & Maths (STEM) Opportunities
Year 7 students students have been signing up for opportunities to broaden their experience of STEM (30/04/2018)
- Toot Hill travels to the National Final of the Big Bang Competition
Our year 8/9 STEM club exhibited at the Big Bang Fair & another 60 year 9/10 students came along too (16/03/2018)
- The Big Bang Fair STEM Trip: Get your tickets now!
The Year 9 & 10 STEM trip to the Big Bang Fair is on Wednesday 14th March. Only 60 places available! (12/02/2018)
- STEM - Energy Quest Challenge was an interesting and fun morning for year 9.
STEM experts visited year 9 students to get them thinking (& making), off timetable for a morning (08/11/2017)
- Year 9 Energy Quest STEM Morning
On Tuesday 7th November 60 year 9 students will have a hands on STEM Morning (03/11/2017)
- Big Bang STEM Competition for year 8 & 9 starts this Wednesday
If you're in year 8 or 9 with an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths check it out (18/09/2017)
- STEM Big Bang Fair Near Me Trip
Year 9 and 10 students visit the regional exhibition and workshops for a great STEM experience (04/07/2017)
- Big Bang "Near Me" - Thursday 29th June 2017
Fantastic STEM trip to an exhibition & workshops for any year 9s & 10s who are interested in STEM. (14/06/2017)
- High Level Needs Consultation - SEN
Parents and carers views needed on proposed changes to high needs SEN funding. (Learning Support - 05/02/2019)
- Rising Stars
Music Competition (Music - 31/01/2019)
- Scholastic Book Fair is coming to the Learning Lounge
Great Books, amazing posters, useful stationery... (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- February in the LL!
So much going on... (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- NEW - BookTrust Challenge 2019
Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- February Book Display
More great books to borrow... (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- Career Talk in the LL - Physiotherapy
Sarah Hilton-Bailey inspires students... (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- Reading week - year 7 - january 28th - february 1st
Year 7 - don't forget your reading books! (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- FQR Favourites - January 2019
More of our favourite short stories written by fabulous authors... (Learning Lounge - 25/01/2019)
- Lisa Serevena visits the Learning Lounge
Careers - Toot Hill School's students explore the Radiographer profession... (Learning Lounge - 21/01/2019)