AS/A Level Course Content
Aims of the A Level Course
By the end of the course, students will:
- Develop written and spoken language and be able to use French independently and a variety of contexts.
- Develop an understanding of the countries and cultures where French is spoken and the influence of France and its culture around the world.
- Be confident studying texts and films in your chosen language, and critically analyse a variety of different cultural themes.
- Develop the ability to argue, analyse and evaluate in speech and in writing.
- Appreciate spiritual, moral, ethical, environmental, health and European issues.
The nature of the course allows students to develop critical skills and a wide understanding of the world around them and many of the important issues impacting daily life and future decisions, helping to prepare them for future studies and employment in a range of areas.
Topics at A Level
Throughout the course, you will study four main themes.
- In theme 1, you will learn about changes in French society – the role of and changes to family life, education and the word of work and gender equality.
- In theme 2, you will study political and artistic culture in the French speaking world including music, the media (and modern media) and festivals and traditions in French speaking countries.
- Theme 3 looks at immigration and multi-cultural French society, and the advantages and challenges linked to immigration and the rise of the extreme right.
- In theme 4, you will study an important period in French history – Nazi occupation and resistance.
In addition to this, we will have the opportunity study a popular French film (Intouchables) and a well-known and popular piece of French literature (L’étranger).
The course is assessed entirely by examination
- Unit 1: Reading, listening and translation into English (40%)
- Unit 2: Written response to works and translation (30%)
- Unit 3: Speaking examination (30%)
For reasons why to study languages, please see our 'Why do AS/A Level?' page.
Modern Foreign Languages News
- Brains & Biscuits!
The start of a new after school MFL club... (17/10/2015)
- Year 9 Ambassadors tackle teaching!
The Launch of the 'Teaching in the Primaries' initiative (17/10/2015)
- Baking Off Beyond Britain
European Bake Off Day: A Macmillan coffee morning (17/10/2015)
- It's all about Boulogne!!!
The final languages voyage of 2014/2015 (20/07/2015)
- Year 10 Fly High
A recent G&T languages visit to RAF Cranwell (20/07/2015)